I was so excited to be asked by Lara Sanner to participate in a blog tour for their recently released coat – The Truffle Coat. This was my first attempt at making a coat and I am so pleased with how it turned out.
Shop the Post
For those of you following along at home, you will remember I had this fabric picked out for my Rumana Coat as part of #sewmystyle2018 in February. Unfortunately, I didn’t have enough as there are bits and pieces cut out of this fabric (I picked it up from a de stash account!) So when it came time to choose my fabric for the Truffle Coat I really hoped I’d be able to get it out of this fabric. Luckily I could although I left of a few pieces I would like to add on to future coats, like the top placket and the hood.
The Truffle Coat is the perfect pattern to start with if you have never sewn coats before. There are different versions for different skill levels and there a not a lot of steps. They do provide a sew a long on their blog but keep in mind this is not in English. The videos were still useful as a visual aid to use along with the instructions for a couple of steps I was unsure about.
I cut the size 34 (smallest size) and it is probably a little bit too big for me in the body. Next time I will trim the sides down a smidge so it has a closer fit. Not that it matters too much as I will be layering underneath this!
I decided to line it in this gorgeous soft fluffy fabric. I know I know, I said to stop me if I said I was ever going to sew with this type of fabric again, but this is a lot better than the sherpa and I am so glad I decided to use it. I lined the arms with a silky lining to help me get my arms through. This is the first time I’ve ever bagged out a garment in this way but it was so easy.
I was a bit scared about inserting the zip as I’ve never used an open ended zipper before, however it would have to be the easiest type of zipper to insert so I was worrying about nothing! I salvaged the zipper from an old coat (similar style to this) which I need to throw away as it is so old and used. It was a little bit shorter than what the pattern called for but it worked.
Overall I am really pleased with how this coat turned out. I would definitely make this coat again and would love to included the proper snaps, hood and outer placket. This pattern also has a matching mini version which I think would be so cute to have a matching mummy & mini combination!